Monday, May 6, 2013

180 Minutes, of Standing.


Took this at t=60 minutes.



Yesterday, I stood in line for 150 minutes. I spent half of that reading Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter, a quarter of it playing Battlecats and the remaining was spent people watching.

I thought arriving at 9am would be sufficient to guarantee a short queue. Oh boo. People were lining up 2 hours before, an hour before the counters are even opened. The counters are divided according to age. 

Being young means that you get the longest queue, yes, the one that snaked around a building where it took me about 100 minutes of standing before I even see the door to the room.

The wind was a miser yesterday. Or a tease more like it. The sun was shy, which I'm very thankful for. The two guys and girl in front of me had a great time eating potato chips. Something I have been craving for since Mid Feb. 

A snap, a post.

When I was within spitting distance from the door, a piece of paper were passed down. The list of rules that I read eagerly out of boredom, and impatience. 

Standing at the door, waiting, just waiting.

My turn. 

180 seconds later and I was done.

With the tip of a finger painted in blue ink.

I have voted for the first time.

My first thought?

Next time, I'll come at 7am, and wear comfy comfy flip flops and bring a Snickers bar.

9 comments:

Laila N Mysis said...

I have to do that this year. I'm not looking forward to it, but eh.

But I absolutely hate that, I do. Waiting forever to do something that takes two minutes or something. PAIN. IN. THE. DERRIERE.

Mark said...

Well congratulations on voting for the first time. I live in a small town so I never really have to queue to vote but I have seen insane lines. Last time there was a general election they couldn't handle the voter turnout and a lot of people didn't get the chance to vote.

Talitha said...

Well at least it says nice things about the-enthusiasm-of-the-country's-youth...or something.
And you voted.
Pretty cool.

chimidama said...

It was my first too.. Glad I've done my part as Malaysian.

but mine was short. only 20 minutes of queuing and everything is done.

Hanis. said...

Haha. Bring a book. And chocolate. Or go with a friend.

Hanis. said...

Lucky lucky you. I live at one of the country's most packed area.

Hanis. said...

Haha. This year had a pretty high turnout.

Hanis. said...

You're so lucky!

Launna said...

WOW, I can't believe how long you had to wait to vote... that is amazing that you waited... that's awesome.:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...