Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Being Realistic in Studying.

My SOA exam is this Thursday and I feel like closing my book, tuck into bed while watching Sinister and Futurama in between reading The Selection by Kiera Cass. No, I'm not ready.

There are optimistic people.

There are pessimistic people.

And then, there's the realistic people.

I'm of the third group. I've never been one to hope for the best and expect the worst. I try to stand back, evaluate the variables, my efforts and any wild cards before coming to a conclusion of how a situation might end like.

Case in point:

Every semester, during the study week before finals, I'll do a small simple Excel spreadsheet with my subjects and the credit hours each carry. I'll first do a table of what I hope my grades would be, and in turn would show what I hope my GPA would be.

Then, as I study and cry, I'll change those grades one by one to what I might get with the amount of studying I've done. And after sitting for each paper, I'll change the grades again to include how I felt I did for the subject. 

I never go all "Alright, I'm going to aim for 3.8 this semester." because darling, that is just putting myself up for dissapointment. I rather aim low, get higher. Its not that I don't push myself. I do. I push myself so much but without letting myself have that false hope.

So, every semester I'll see what grades I need to get to get a 3.5 GPA . And that will be the minimum grade. If I felt I did badly for a paper, I'll adjust an upcoming subject's grade and increase my studying for it.

The way I see it, I'm not going to end up crying so much at the D-Day of results. And it works fine for me.


Which is why I know that for this upcoming SOA paper, which it is the norm for people to fail the first time around, I'll be failing it. 

Don't think "Stop being so negative Hanis.". Because I alone know how much I've studied. How much I've neglected. How taking a SOA paper in one's final semester is the stupidest thing to do, unless you're really really really smart.

I'll go into the hall on Thursday, head held high and with the opinion I'm doing this for the experience. Not many are willing to even try taking it and here I'am, staring at my 734 page text book thinking of this Saturday's book shopping trip.

And now I shall go and try to understand Chapter 5 before abandoning it for 6 and 7.



5 comments:

Furree Katt said...

Oh, Hanis. I like the realistic perspective you have. You put in SOOOO much effort! I never put this much effort into anything, hahaha.
*admires*
Your textbook, OMG. My psychology textbook is 630 pages. Still less than yours :O

Mark said...

That is quite a realist opinion there, and well backed up. I'd like to tell you you can do it, but based on the evidence you've managed to convince even me you might not be able to. So if that is the case then yep do it for the experience, to say you have, and to see how well you do so you know what to do better the next time around.

Laila N Mysis said...

I wish, I wish, I WISH I could think like you! But my thinking is completely based on how much I like my subject, and a portion of how good I am at it, mixed with some extremes.

For example, I loved Literature this year, I aced it all year, and so I expected the BEST for the final exam... and now I know it's not possible -_-'

On the other hand, I despised maths, I kinda stank at it, so I expected the worst. It was okay, actually :P

... wait, you know this o.o Hm.

Talitha said...

At least no one can blame you about having your head in the clouds.
My study patterns are similar to those of LMs I'm afraid...like it,study it.
Chill girl,it'll be fine!
Now smile and go to chapter 6.:)

Voice Of Reason said...

Being realistic's the way to go for me too. It keeps you driven through the whole thing. I totally get where you're coming from. And I think it's good that you're taking this exam even you don't think you're ready. You're taking a chance and there is a possibility that you might make it. And God forbid that you don't, you'd just be better prepared for next time.

GIVE IT YOUR BEST!
Love. <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...